Our Lady For Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to conform our beliefs to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church under the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend pope’s installation Mass 2ih01sx

You are not connected. Please login or register

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend pope’s installation Mass

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Our-Lady-Of-Victory

Our-Lady-Of-Victory
Admin

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend pope’s installation Mass 2iqehdc

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch will attend pope’s installation Mass by Deacon Kandra

The Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend Pope Francis’s inaugural Mass. The Ecumenical Patriarchate Press Office informed AsiaNews about the decision, noting that this is the first time such an event occurs since the Catholic-Orthodox split in 1054, an important sign for Christian unity.

The ecumenical patriarch will be accompanied by Ioannis Zizioulas, metropolitan of Pergamon and co-president of the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox Church, as well as Tarassios, Orthodox Metropolitan of Argentina, and Gennadios, Orthodox Metropolitan of Italy.

Relations between Catholics and Orthodox have been improving since the Second Vatican Council through mutual visits, acts of friendship and theological dialogue.

Under Benedict XVI, the dialogue picked up in earnest after a lull. In trying to promote it, the pope suggested ways to express the primacy of Peter’s successor that could be acceptable to the Orthodox, finding his inspiration from the undivided Church of the first millennium.

Catholic ecumenism has met however with great resistance from the Russian Orthodox Church and the Moscow Patriarchate, seat of the ‘Third Rome’.

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church’s Department for External Relations, Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, said on Thursday that a meeting between the pope and Patriarch Kirill of Moscow was “possible but the place and timing will depend on how quickly we will overcome the consequences of the conflicts from the turn of 1980s and 1990s”.

The issue of the Ukrainian Catholic Church is at the core of the “conflicts” to which Hilarion was referring. Although it was unbanned following the collapse of the Soviet Union, it was left without its original churches, which had been seized by the Communists under Soviet rule and later transferred to the Orthodox Church.

Still, “on several occasions, Pope Francis has shown spiritual sympathy towards the Orthodox Church and a desire for closer contacts,” Hilarion said.

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend pope’s installation Mass 35884k1

Last edited by Our-Lady-Of-Victory on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Our-Lady-Of-Victory

Our-Lady-Of-Victory
Admin

For the first time since the Great Schism, ecumenical Patriarch to attend Pope's inaugural Mass

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend pope’s installation Mass 34g39ch

The metropolitans of Argentina and Italy will accompany Bartholomew. Moscow Patriarchate hopes in closer cooperation with Rome but excludes for now a meeting between Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill.

Istanbul (AsiaNews) - The Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend Pope Francis's inaugural Mass. The Ecumenical Patriarchate Press Office informed AsiaNews about the decision, noting that this is the first time such an event occurs since the Catholic-Orthodox split in 1054, an important sign for Christian unity.

The ecumenical patriarch will be accompanied by Ioannis Zizioulas, metropolitan of Pergamon and co-president of the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox Church, as well as Tarassios, Orthodox Metropolitan of Argentina, and Gennadios, Orthodox Metropolitan of Italy.

Relations between Catholics and Orthodox have been improving since the Second Vatican Council through mutual visits, acts of friendship and theological dialogue.

Under Benedict XVI, the dialogue picked up in earnest after a lull. In trying to promote it, the pope suggested ways to express the primacy of Peter's successor that could be acceptable to the Orthodox, finding his inspiration from the undivided Church of the first millennium.

Catholic ecumenism has met however with great resistance from the Russian Orthodox Church and the Moscow Patriarchate, seat of the 'Third Rome'.

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church's Department for External Relations, Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, said on Thursday that a meeting between the pope and Patriarch Kirill of Moscow was "possible but the place and timing will depend on how quickly we will overcome the consequences of the conflicts from the turn of 1980s and 1990s".

The issue of the Ukrainian Catholic Church is at the core of the "conflicts" to which Hilarion was referring. Although it was unbanned following the collapse of the Soviet Union, it was left without its original churches, which had been seized by the Communists under Soviet rule and later transferred to the Orthodox Church.

Still, "on several occasions, Pope Francis has shown spiritual sympathy towards the Orthodox Church and a desire for closer contacts," Hilarion said.

It is his hope that under the new pontificate "relations of alliance will develop and that our ties will be strengthened."

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/For-the-first-time-since-the-Great-Schism,-ecumenical-patriarch-to-attend-pope%27s-inaugural-Mass-27408.html

Our-Lady-Of-Victory

Our-Lady-Of-Victory
Admin

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend pope’s installation Mass Xd7kp
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople, right, walks with Bishop Brian Farrell, secretary of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, after attending Pope Francis’ inaugural Mass in St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican on 19 March. For the first time since the Great Schism of 1054, the Orthodox ecumenical patriarch attended a pope’s inaugural Mass. (photo: CNS/Paul Haring)

Our-Lady-Of-Victory

Our-Lady-Of-Victory
Admin

March 20, 2013 By Deacon Greg Kandra

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend pope’s installation Mass 2l7xns

The ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople has invited Pope Francis to travel with him to the Holy Land next year to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the embrace between Patriarch Athenagoras and Paul VI, the pioneers of Catholic-Orthodox dialogue. During their private meeting, Bartholomew and Francis explored possible paths towards unity, including theological dialogue, environmental defence, and a visit to the Fanar, after going through proper diplomatic channels.

Earlier, when the pontiff met Christian and other religious leaders, Bartholomew I was the only one who addressed Pope Francis. For the patriarch, Christians must bear witness in a credible way through “Church unity” in order to cope with the world’s economic crisis and to counter “worldly trends” that limit life to its earthly horizons. Bartholomew’s words reflect the pontiff’s notion of stewardship, which he presented yesterday during his inaugural mass.

All this is evidence of the great unity between the two leaders. When Pope Francis introduced the patriarch, he called him, off the cuffs, “my brother Andrew” underscoring the blood ties between the two apostles patrons of the two Churches, Andrew of Constantinople and Peter of Rome, the “first one to be called” and the “first one among the apostles”.

Like Francis, Bartholomew referred to Benedict XVI “as a mild man who distinguished himself by his theological knowledge and charity.”

When he spoke about the “task and huge responsibilities” that await the pope, he said that “the unity of Christian Churches” was “the first and most important of our concerns” in order to ensure that “our Christian witness is seen to be credible near and far.” Hence, it is necessary to continue “the theological dialogue” between Catholics and Orthodox, based on the experience and tradition of the first undivided thousand years.

The world’s economic crisis is another “imperative,” requiring that “those who have more give more” so that “justice can ensure peace”.

The pope, Bartholomew said, has a “long and valued ministry as a Good Samaritan in Latin America. [. . .] Like few others, he has known the bitterness and suffering of human misery.”

Our-Lady-Of-Victory

Our-Lady-Of-Victory
Admin

United against economic crisis and "worldly trends", Bartholomew and Francis to be in Jerusalem next year
by NAT da Polis

The two will travel to the Holy Land to mark the 50th anniversary of the embrace between Athenagoras and Paul VI. The pope has been invited to Constantinople for the feast day of Saint Andrew (30 November). For the ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople, the pope is the 'Good Samaritan of Latin America'; for the pope, the patriarch is "My brother Andrew'. Both are committed to the environment and to the struggle against poverty and materialism.

Vatican City (AsiaNews) - The ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople has invited Pope Francis to travel with him to the Holy Land next year to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the embrace between Patriarch Athenagoras and Paul VI, the pioneers of Catholic-Orthodox dialogue. During their private meeting, Bartholomew and Francis explored possible paths towards unity, including theological dialogue, environmental defence, and a visit to the Fanar, after going through proper diplomatic channels.

Earlier, when the pontiff met Christian and other religious leaders, Bartholomew I was the only one who addressed Pope Francis. For the patriarch, Christians must bear witness in a credible way through "Church unity" in order to cope with the world's economic crisis and to counter "worldly trends" that limit life to its earthly horizons. Bartholomew's words reflect the pontiff's notion of stewardship, which he presented yesterday during his inaugural mass.

All this is evidence of the great unity between the two leaders. When Pope Francis introduced the patriarch, he called him, off the cuffs, "my brother Andrew" underscoring the blood ties between the two apostles patrons of the two Churches, Andrew of Constantinople and Peter of Rome, the "first one to be called" and the "first one among the apostles".

Like Francis, Bartholomew referred to Benedict XVI "as a mild man who distinguished himself by his theological knowledge and charity."

When he spoke about the "task and huge responsibilities" that await the pope, he said that "the unity of Christian Churches" was "the first and most important of our concerns" in order to ensure that "our Christian witness is seen to be credible near and far." Hence, it is necessary to continue "the theological dialogue" between Catholics and Orthodox, based on the experience and tradition of the first undivided thousand years.

The world's economic crisis is another "imperative," requiring that "those who have more give more" so that "justice can ensure peace".

The pope, Bartholomew said, has a "long and valued ministry as a Good Samaritan in Latin America. [. . .] Like few others, he has known the bitterness and suffering of human misery."

Echoing what Pope Francis said yesterday in his homily, Bartholomew also noted that "We have a duty to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, cure the sick".

The patriarch went on to praise the pope for "his choice of simplicity," a necessity if we want to correct the "worldly notions" that have emerged among Christians and others that weaken the notions of justice, mercy and cooperation among men by encouraging them to remain too attached to the earthly things.

"The Church," said Bartholomew, "blesses earthly life but does not limit its mission to it." We must correct "worldly notions" so that man can return to the "original beauty, that of charity."

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/United-against-economic-crisis-and-worldly-trends,-Bartholomew-and-Francis-to-be-in-Jerusalem-next-year-27450.html

Our-Lady-Of-Victory

Our-Lady-Of-Victory
Admin

March 20, 2013. (Romereports.com) The main leader of the Orthodox Church, Bartholomew I, said he hopes they can meet in Jerusalem this year, to mark the 50th anniversary of the famous hug between their predecessors, Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras.

On Wednesday, Pope Francis met with another Christian leader, the Patriarch of Constantinople, Bartholomew I.

¨You must be very tired¨
Not really. At least not yet.

The main leader of the Orthodox Church said he hopes they can meet in Jerusalem this year, to mark the 50th anniversary of the famous hug between their predecessors, Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras.

About one thousand years ago, the Orthodox Patriarch and the Pope didn´t speak to each other. They had excommunicated one another respectively. But eventually the reconciliation process began and it still continues to this day.

The leader of the Orthodox Church gave the Pope a small icon and Pope Francis gave him a cross.

¨It's small ... It´s beautiful because it´s a cross and because it´s a gift from you."

The Pope also met with a representative of Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Then Metropolitan Hilarion gave him an icon of Our Lady of Humility.

"Pray for me, so that I may have humility."

With these visits, Pope Francis begins his dialogue with other Christian denominations.

JMB/KLH
CTV
ND
-BN
-U:RCarr

http://www.romereports.com/palio/patriarch-bartholomew-invites-pope-to-jerusalem-to-celebrate-historic-anniversary-english-9517.html#.UUqC-We0q-y

Last edited by Our-Lady-Of-Victory on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Our-Lady-Of-Victory

Our-Lady-Of-Victory
Admin

Historic: for first time since schism, Ecumenical Patriarch Constantinople Bartholomew I will attend pope’s installation Mass 2l9piqh
For the first time in history an Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, Bartholomew, from the Orthodox tradition attended the ceremony of installation of a Roman Pontiff. Pope Francis met yesterday the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, Bartholomew, calling him, significantly, “my brother Andrew”. (St. Andrew was St. Peter's brother).

Picture
20 Mar '13

via Vatican Radio

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum