Our Lady For Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to conform our beliefs to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church under the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Bishop Sheen on Confession and Abortion, and Why We Say What We Say 2ih01sx

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bishop Sheen on Confession and Abortion, and Why We Say What We Say

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

NeedImprovement

NeedImprovement
Admin

The following is a short excerpt taken from [p. 279 of] Bishop Sheen's autobiography , Treasure In Clay .

A large portion of the book Treasure In Clay may be read online at this link :

http://www.scribd.com/doc/75691898/Treasure-in-Clay-The-Autobiography-of-Fulton-J-Sheen#.Ucl7m9iNRw0

"I remember a stewardess on an international airline who began instructions [in the Faith, for conversion]. When she came to the subject of confession and sin, she said that she could not continue. I begged her to take one more hour of instruction, and then if she did not like what was said, she could leave. At the end of the second hour on that subject, she became almost violent and shouted: 'Now I'll never join the Church after what I have heard about confessing sin.' I said to her: 'There is no proportion whatever between what you have heard and the way you are acting. Have you ever had an abortion?' She hung her head in shame and admitted that she had. That was the difficulty; it was not the sacrament of Penance. Later on I received her into the Church and baptized her first child. From my experience it is always well never to pay attention to what people say, but rather why they say it. So often there is a rationalization of the way they live."

Here is a moment from an encounter between Blessed John Paul II and Venerable Fulton Sheen which was captured in a photo . . . rather an edifying thought for us to believe, with faith, that this scene took place a second time : in Heaven.

yup

Bishop Sheen on Confession and Abortion, and Why We Say What We Say PopeJohnPaulBishopFultonSheen

. . . two intercessors well worth invoking , in my limited opinion.

NeedImprovement

NeedImprovement
Admin

Venerable Bishop Fulton Sheen understood the evangelization power of radio and television. His lightning quick wit was one of the assets which increased his popularity ; it seemed to have a pronounced effect on his success in television , success which included winning an Emmy Award for "Most Outstanding Television Personality" in 1952 .

Of course, back then people didn’t have the luxury of recording one television program while they watched another which was airing simultaneously . So some harder choices had to be made . And some rivalries vying for audience and ratings naturally resulted. In Venerable Bishop Sheen’s case , he was up against “Mr. Television” himself , as one of his weekly series aired at the same time as NBC’s Milton Berle show.  But this particular rivalry was a friendly one , which drew more than one smile and more than one quip from their counterparts :

Prior to Life Is Worth Living, Sheen had appeared on the radio program The Catholic Hour from 1928 to 1952.[4] With his hypnotic gaze, disarming smile, and dramatic delivery, Sheen was a natural for television. Airing opposite NBC's highly popular Milton Berle show on Tuesday nights, Sheen was the only person ever to give "Mr. Television", also known as "Uncle Miltie", a run for his money. Sheen drew as many as 10 million viewers each week.[3]

Sheen and Berle enjoyed a friendly rivalry. Berle is reported to have joked, "We both work for the same boss, 'Sky Chief Supreme'", making reference to a grade of gasoline produced by Texaco, his sponsor. Later, when Sheen won an Emmy, Berle quipped, "He's got better writers – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John!" As a take-off on Berle's popular nickname with the public, Sheen once opened his program by saying "Good evening, this is Uncle Fultie."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_is_Worth_Living

Very Happy

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum