Our Lady For Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to conform our beliefs to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church under the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

November 11th  -  Lest We Forget 2ih01sx

You are not connected. Please login or register

November 11th - Lest We Forget

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1November 11th  -  Lest We Forget Empty November 11th - Lest We Forget Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:10 am

NeedImprovement

NeedImprovement
Admin

November 11th  -  Lest We Forget ATT00010112

Today I'm saying a prayer for all mothers and families who've lost loved ones in wars and I include all members of the police forces who've lost their lives in the line of duty and their families. I also hope to have time to visit the Field of Honour - not too far away, where many of our veterans and fallen are buried.

St Michael is the patron Saint of soldiers (paratroopers, marines - and all others) and policemen (honourable mention to St Philip Neri too).

A Policeman's Prayer

St. Michael, Heaven's glorious Commissioner of Police, who once so neatly and successfully cleared God's premises of all undesirables, look with a kindly and professional eye on your earthly force. Give us cool heads, stout hearts, hard punches, an uncanny flair for investigation, and wise judgement. Make us the terror of burglars, the friend of children and law-abiding citizens, kind to strangers, polite to bores, strict with law-breakers, and impervious to temptations. You know, St. Michael, from your own experiences with the devil, that the policeman's lot on Earth is not always a happy one; but your sense of duty that so pleased God, your hard knocks that so surprised the devil, and your angelic self-control give us inspiration. And when we lay down our night sticks, enroll us in your Heavenly Force, where we will be as proud to guard the throne of God, as we have been to guard the city of men. Amen.

http://www.jcpdes.com/stmichael.html
The True Story of a Soldier and the Intervention of St. Michael can be read at the following link:

http://www.militaryfamiliespray.com/Home/letter-from-a-young-marine-to-his-mother

Here's an Excerpt:

LETTER FROM A YOUNG MARINE TO HIS MOTHER

Dear Mom .

. . . Well, one day I was with an advance detail way up over the front lines. We were scouting for the commies. I was plodding along in the bitter cold; my breath was like cigar smoke. I thought I knew every guy in the patrol, when along side of me comes another Marine I never met before. He was bigger than any other Marine I’d ever seen. He must have been over 6 feet 4 inches and built in proportion. It gave me a feeling of security to have such a body near me.

Anyway, there we were trudging along. The rest of the patrol spread out. Just to start a conversation I said, “Cold ain’t it.” And then I laughed. Here I was with a good chance of getting killed any minute and I am talking about the weather!

My companion seemed to understand. I heard him laugh softly.

I looked at him, “I’ve never seen you before. I thought I knew every man in the outfit.”

“I just joined at the last minute,” he replied, “the name is Michael.”

“Is that so,” I said surprised, “that’s my name too.”

“I know,” he said, and then went on saying the prayer, “Michael, Michael of the morning…”
I was too amazed to say anything for a minute. How did he know my name, and a prayer that you had taught me? . . .

November 11th  -  Lest We Forget St_Michael1

2November 11th  -  Lest We Forget Empty Michael of The Morning Prayer Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 am

NeedImprovement

NeedImprovement
Admin

Here is the MICHAEL OF THE MORNING prayer the soldier was speaking about in his letter to his mother in the post above. Sometimes it is also referred to as a poem , since , as the good people at Women For Faith & Family , tell us it was written by G.K Chesterton :

Voices Online Edition
Vol. XVIII: No. 3 - Michaelmas 2003

To St. Michael in Time of Peace
Gilbert K. Chesterton

This poem was first published in The Legion Book (London 1929), and again in G. K.'s Weekly (September 24, 1936).The poem also appeared in Chesterton Review, May 1990 (Vol 16 No 2). -

See more at: http://www.wf-f.org/StMichael-Chesterton.html#sthash.5Ec0Cx6N.dpuf
Prayer To St. Michael
(Michael, Michael: Michael of the Morning)

Michael, Michael: Michael of the Morning,
Michael of the Army of the Lord,
Stiffen thou the hand upon the still sword, Michael,
Folded and shut upon the sheathed sword, Michael,
Under the fullness of the white robes falling,
Gird us with the secret of the sword.

When the world cracked because of a sneer in heaven,
Leaving out for all time a scar upon the sky,
Thou didst rise up against the Horror in the highest,
Dragging down the highest that looked down on the Most High:
Rending from the seventh heaven the hell of exaltation
Down the seven heavens till the dark seas burn:
Thou that in thunder threwest down the Dragon
Knowest in what silence the Serpent can return.

Down through the universe the vast night falling
(Michael, Michael: Michael of the Morning!)
Far down the universe the deep calms calling
(Michael, Michael: Michael of the Sword!)
Bid us not forget in the baths of all forgetfulness,
In the sigh long drawn from the frenzy and the fretfulness
In the huge holy sempiternal silence
In the beginning was the Word.

When from the deeps of dying God astounded
Angels and devils who do all but die
Seeing Him fallen where thou couldst not follow,
Seeing Him mounted where thou couldst not fly,
Hand on the hilt, thou hast halted all thy legions
Waiting the Tetelestai and the acclaim,
Swords that salute Him dead and everlasting
God beyond God and greater than His Name.

Round us and over us the cold thoughts creeping
(Michael, Michael: Michael of the battle-cry!)
Round us and under us the thronged world sleeping
(Michael, Michael: Michael of the Charge!)
Guard us the Word; the trysting and the trusting
Edge upon the honour and the blade unrusting
Fine as the hair and tauter than the harpstring
Ready as when it rang upon the targe.

He that giveth peace unto us; not as the world giveth:
He that giveth law unto us; not as the scribes:
Shall he be softened for the softening of the cities
Patient in usury; delicate in bribes?
They that come to quiet us, saying the sword is broken,
Break man with famine, fetter them with gold,
Sell them as sheep; and He shall know the selling
For He was more than murdered. He was sold.

Michael, Michael: Michael of the Mustering,
Michael of the marching on the mountains of the Lord,
Marshal the world and purge of rot and riot
Rule through the world till all the world be quiet:
Only establish when the world is broken
What is unbroken is the word.

(* The following is an edit later on the same day of the original post )

So,  I was wondering what type of memory a guy would need to remember that entire prayer directly above and how reciting it might detract one's attention long enough to have him become a casualty. . .

. . .  Had a closer look at the wording of the story and , there is a much shorter Michael of the Morning prayer - the wording of which resembles more accurately that prayer described in the letter (and it's a prayer much easier to remember) :
November 11th  -  Lest We Forget Smileyphew3

Michael, Michael of the Morning

Michael, Michael
of the morning,
Fresh corps
of Heaven adorning
Keep me safe today,
And in time of temptation
Drive the devil away.

AMEN

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: