Our Lady For Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to conform our beliefs to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church under the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Cardinal George Pell Acquitted by Australia's High Court 2ih01sx

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cardinal George Pell Acquitted by Australia's High Court

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

NeedImprovement

NeedImprovement
Admin

In a unanimous decision Australia's High Court overturned the conviction of Cardinal George Pell - who has always maintained his innocence.

Zenit reports:

In an unanimous vote, the conviction of Cardinal George Pell has been overturned by Australia’s High Court, and the acquitted cardinal, who has always maintained his innocence, walks free after hundreds of days in jail, days before Easter.

“The Holy See, which has always expressed confidence in the Australian judicial authority,” the Holy See Press Office said in an April 7 statement,  “welcomes the High Court’s unanimous decision concerning Cardinal George Pell, acquitting him of the accusations of abuse of minors and overturning his sentence.”

“Entrusting his case to the court’s justice,” it continued, “Cardinal Pell has always maintained his innocence, and has waited for the truth to be ascertained.”

“At the same time,” it underscored, “the Holy See reaffirms its commitment to preventing and pursuing all cases of abuse against minors.”

https://zenit.org/articles/acquitted-in-unanimous-vote-australian-high-court-overturns-cardinal-pells-conviction/

And the BBC reported :

"I have consistently maintained my innocence while suffering from a serious injustice," Cardinal Pell said in a statement after the decision. He had served more than 400 days of his sentence and cannot be retried on the charges. . .

Cardinal Pell said an injustice had been "remedied", and said he held "no ill will to my accuser".
"I do not want my acquittal to add to the hurt and bitterness so many feel; there is certainly hurt and bitterness enough," he said in a statement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52183157

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum