Our Lady For Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to conform our beliefs to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church under the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Slow Down ! 2ih01sx

You are not connected. Please login or register

Slow Down !

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Slow Down ! Empty Slow Down ! Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm

NeedImprovement

NeedImprovement
Admin

Who ever said faster is better ? . . . Not in my limited opinion . . . dts 

Just when we think things couldn’t get any more hectic . . . something else gets added to our workload or to our schedule.  ouch 

Sometimes we could almost swear the world is turning faster because we are going faster.

Life is not always easy for those of us who would preserve our Christian faith while trying to keep up with/in the modern world : Mothers and fathers are often both obliged to work ; kids get left alone with electronic babysitters . Instantaneous gratification is sought after like a precious jewel or metal . . . while our faith sometimes gets left to rust in a corner .

There are so many forms of entertainment today bombarding us that we can get numbed into a state where daily prayer is given only the minimal effort – if any effort at all. Yet not very much of what we do apart from prayer, except sleeping could actually be considered rest. And some of us do our sleeping while we’re awake anyway.doh

We can get so caught up in the pace of the rat race that we easily lose sight of what really counts.

A little time to reflect – to take a step backwards and just look at things . . .  a little rest maybe to recharge the batteries so we don’t inadvertently end up losing a grip on this precious faith of ours . . .

It also happens , on occasion , that a break can be in order when even what we do for our faith has reached a hectic point. The following passage from sacred scripture comes to mind  . . .

Mark 6:30-31  ; NAB

The apostles  gathered together with Jesus and reported all they had done and taught.

He said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." People were coming and going in great numbers, and they had no opportunity even to eat.

Yet even then , it was not to be . . .

Mark  6:32-34 ; NAB

So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place.

People saw them leaving and many came to know about it. They hastened there on foot from all the towns and arrived at the place before them.

When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.

And there is a lot of constant noise going on in our world too. What does it serve ? From the earliest times of our Judeo-Christian tradition ,  we discover that our Lord  is easier found without all the noise . . .

[1 Kings 19:9-13]

There he came to a cave, where he took shelter. But the word of the LORD came to him, "Why are you here, Elijah?"

He answered: "I have been most zealous for the LORD, the God of hosts, but the Israelites have forsaken your covenant, torn down your altars, and put your prophets to the sword. I alone am left, and they seek to take my life."

Then the LORD said, "Go outside and stand on the mountain before the LORD; the LORD will be passing by." A strong and heavy wind was rending the mountains and crushing rocks before the LORD - but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake - but the LORD was not in the earthquake.

After the earthquake there was fire - but the LORD was not in the fire. After the fire there was a tiny whispering sound.

When he heard this, Elijah hid his face in his cloak and went and stood at the entrance of the cave. A voice said to him, "Elijah, why are you here?"

One may well ask , "How shall we ever be able to to hear what our loving Heavenly Father wishes to whisper to us , if we don't have some way of shutting out all the noise first ? " This would seem to concur with Our Blessed Lord's recommendation  from Matthew 6:6 -

But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

So it could just as surely be reasoned further that Psalm 46 applies just as much today , as it did then . . . maybe more so if we take into account all the daily noise and distractions in our lives :

Be still and know I am God.

Living life to the fullest is not the same as living life to the fastest , and a good practical reflection can sometimes help us manage a re-appreciation of life.

At the Mass portion of our prayer cenacle last Saturday, Father Louis reminded us in his homily  of our Christian need to  take a time-out occasionally. He concluded the homily with a reading of a poem written by author Wilfred A. Petersen entitled Slow Me Down, Lord !  

Slow Me Down Lord !  additionally comes highly recommended  by Father John Predmore, S.J. , who was a former retreat director in Gloucester Massachusetts. It  can be read by clicking on this link :

http://predmore.blogspot.ca/2011/09/poem-slow-me-down-lord-by-wilfred-arlan.html

Slow Down ! Ireland2

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum